May 27, Planet Fitness, Inc. filed their S-1 for a public offering of 10,000,000 shares. The company has been listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol “PLNT” with a recent stock price of $17.85 (May 26, 2016).
I thought this would be an interesting S-1 to pore over as I haven’t reviewed an S-1 in a while and my interest in all things fitness-related. In fact, I have some aspirations to own a gym one day (my own, not a franchise).
Let’s dig in…
- “An emerging growth company” as part of the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act of 2012
- In addition to the “Planet Fitness’ trademark, the company owns rights to “No Lunks”, “No Gymtimidation”, Judgement Free Zone”, etc.
- Standard membership is $10 per month includes free fitness instruction to everyone from staff trainers; $19.99 PF Black Card is available for system-wide store access + access to special amenities (i.e. tanning equipment, massage beds, other)
- 1,171 total stores with typical stores ringing in at ~20K sq. ft. – 1,113 franchised and 58 corporate-owned. Believe in opportunity to more than triple size with 1,000 stores already committed with franchisees
- Company focuses heavily on “judgement free zone” and creating an environment where members are not intimidated by members or high fees
- New stores in 2015 signed up an average of 1,300 members per store before even opening their doors – reflect strong brand
- Each store is required to spend 5-7% of monthly dues towards local advertising
- Franchisees typically experience >25% return on initial capital investment in the second year of operations (net of advertising and royalties)… most franchisees reinvest capital into Planet Fitness with 90% of new 2015 stores opened by existing franchisees
- Equipment have typical useful lives of 4-7 years -- franchisees then provide a predictable, growing revenue model for re-equipping stores
- Revenue growth
- Store growth
- PF Black Card members as a percentage of total membership from 42% 2011 to 57% 2015 with average monthly dues per member $14.24 to $15.64
- Planet Fitness closed an IPO August 11, 2015 of 15,525,000 shares opening at $16.00 per share
- Revenue (2013-2015): $211,009 --> $279,777 --> $330,537
- Number of stores (system-wide, 2013-2015): 749 --> 918 --> 1,124
- Number of members (system-wide, 2013-2015): 4.8M --> 6.1M --> 7.3M
- Over 20% of members joined through Planet Fitness websites in 2015
- Franchisees’ unlevered investment in 2015 for a new store ~$1.9M including fitness equipment purchases and construction (~12 weeks for new construction)
- 756 employees across corporate owned stores and 180 employees at the company’s headquarters located at 26 Fox Run Road, Newington, New Hampshire